Most Experiment programs are open to all students who have completed their 9th, 10th, 11th, or 12th grade year but have not yet entered college or university. Students applying for The Experiment Leadership Institute programs must be rising seniors (detailed eligibility requirements for the Experiment Leadership Institute are outlined below).
If you do not have a passport valid through the end of February 2021, apply for one now, especially if your program requires a visa. (Many countries require your passport be valid for at least six months or longer beyond the dates of your program.) If you have not had a medical physical since May 2019, make an appointment as soon as possible.
We encourage you to visit the US State Department’s passport website for more information.
A Special Note to Non-U.S. Citizens
You are responsible for making sure that your immigration documents are in order for international travel. These may include a U.S. alien registration card, a valid passport, a visa for the country(ies) you would be visiting, and a U.S. reentry permit. Consult the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service office in your area, and the embassy or consulate of the country you will visit as soon as possible. Some documents can take as long as three months to obtain.
Experiment Leadership Institute Programs
Students applying for The Experiments Leadership Institute program to India must:
- Be rising seniors 16 years old and not more than 18 years old at the time of the exchange
- Have a high school graduation year of 2021
- Have permission from either a parent or legal guardian to participate in the full six-week program
Applicants for the Leadership Institute will be evaluated on the following characteristics:
- Interest in global issues, a commitment to volunteer and civic activities, and leadership potential demonstrated through community and/or school involvement
- Ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and tolerate the opinions of others
- Leadership potential demonstrated through community/school involvement
- Good social and communication skills
- Strong academic performance
- An energetic, positive attitude
- Ability to implement projects that benefit the applicant’s school and/or community
- Demonstrated ability to reflect on learning
- Demonstrated potential to follow through with projects and apply what one has learned to new projects, initiatives, or plans
Applicants for the Leadership Institute programs are required to demonstrate strong academic performance and/or civic engagement.
When you start your online application for admission on the Program Selection page choose Leadership Institute | India: Community Development & Public Health for your first-choice program. (You should also enter second- and third-choice Experiment programs that are not the Leadership Institute program; if you are not selected for the Leadership Institute, we will consider your application for your second- or third-choice program.) When you reach the Letter of Reference page of your online application, you will be asked to submit the names and email addresses of the two different adult teachers, mentors, or coaches who will act as your references. Your references will then be sent our online reference form, which is required. Be sure to check in with your references and The Experiment to ensure the forms have been completed and received by The Experiment before the January application deadline.
Language Requirements by Program:
Requirement: one year of Spanish language training
- Argentina: Community Service & the Great Outdoors
- Ecuador: The Galápagos Islands & the Andes
- Spain: Spanish Language & Culture
- Spain: Cultural Discovery