The Experiment Abroad Eligibility Requirements
With the exceptions listed below, Experiment abroad programs are open to all students who have completed their 9th-, 10th-, 11th-, or 12th-grade year but have not yet entered college or university.
To be accepted, all prospective Experimenters must demonstrate the following admissions criteria through their online application and interview:
- Motivation to participate in an Experiment program;
- Ability to work in a group setting (in school or outside of school) with peers and adults from diverse backgrounds;
- Proven maturity; and
- Open-mindedness and curiosity about Experiment program country and culture.
The Experiment requires all applicants to provide proof of a COVID-19 vaccine (exemptions will be considered for medical and religious reasons).
For Programs Offering College Credit through the School for International Training (SIT)
The Experiment welcomes applications for our credit-bearing summer programs from high school students with proven maturity who meet the criteria above and:
- Are rising juniors, seniors, or recent high school graduates.
- Are in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher.*
- Provide 2 letters of reference (1 advisor/guidance counselor and 1 teacher), and their high school transcript(s).
*Experiment programs center on field-based, experiential learning with a holistic application review. In order to reduce barriers related to standardized scoring models and foster an environment of access and inclusion, the admissions committee encourages applicants in good academic standing, but whose GPA may fall outside of our recommended minimum GPA, to submit an additional statement of context with their official transcripts.
Passports, Visas & Physicals
If you do not have a passport valid through the end of February 2025, apply for one now, especially if your program requires a visa. (Many countries require your passport be valid for at least six months or longer beyond the dates of your program.) If you have not had a medical physical since May 2023, make an appointment as soon as possible. We encourage you to visit the U.S. State Department’s passport website for more information. Due to delays in processing passports, the U.S. State Department warns that passport applications may take up to 14 weeks or more to process, so please apply for or renew your passport as soon as possible.
A Special Note to Non-U.S. Citizens
You are responsible for making sure that your immigration documents are in order for international travel. These may include a U.S. alien registration card, a valid passport, a visa for the country or countries you would be visiting, and a U.S. reentry permit. Consult the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service office in your area, and the embassy or consulate of the country you will visit as soon as possible. Some documents can take as long as three months to obtain.
Virtual Exchange Eligibility Requirements
- Are between the ages of 14–19 years old
- Currently enrolled in or have not yet completed high school
- Reside in the United States or the MENA region, including Algeria, Bahrain, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, West Bank & Gaza, and Yemen
- Have basic English language competency
- Have regular access to the Internet*
- Can devote four (4) hours each week to the program
During our application review, we look for participants who: (1) Demonstrate a commitment to the program and its goals; (2) Are passionate about developing their leadership and cross-cultural communication skills; (3) Have an open-minded attitude and are willing to learn from others; (4) Have a demonstrated interest in civic engagement; (5) Have not had extensive travel experience.
Alumni of The Experiment Digital are ineligible to participate in a second Experiment Digital program. Alumni are invited to apply as Digital Peer Mentors—to inquire about the Digital Peer Mentor role, please email [email protected].
*If selected to participate in The Experiment Digital Youth Leadership & Community Service program, we will provide support for data plans if you do not have consistent access to the Internet.
Questions? Contact us!