JAPANIMATION – WEEK ONE
The group has had a week to get oriented with Tokyo, language, and culture. In the past week we have done the following things:
We have been to many areas of Tokyo such as Ueno, Akihabra, Iidabashi, Nakano, and Asakusa. We have discovered that convenience stores in Japan are amazing. They are everywhere and they have bento boxes, desserts, and curry chicken better than Trader Joes! The ice cream is delicious. We are staying at a hostel that overlooks Tokyo. It is very nice.
NEW THINGS TO US
- Vending machines are everywhere. They work and carry many drinks including hot ones.
- It’s very quiet here, especially on the train
- Restaurants are very small and quiet, If people are talking, they are usually talking in a low voice.
- In public bathrooms, there are places to sit a baby in while you use the restroom. There is toilet cleaner to clean the seats and the seats are heated with bidets.
We started anime school on Thursday. We learned how to draw faces well and different types of poses for the body. We also learned how animators animate things, how to do digital art, and practiced shading.
- Melon Soda “I didn’t know it was a thing!”
- “There’s anime everywhere!”
- Ads are spectacular “I don’t know what the lemon man is selling, but I want it!”
- Pandas (on ads, buildings and everywhere)