At The Experiment, we understand that sometimes plans change. We offer an optional pre-departure tuition protection plan which provides you with maximum flexibility to cancel your enrollment prior to travel. This is an opportunity to protect the educational opportunity you are about to invest in for your child.
OPTIONAL TUITION PROTECTION
We strongly suggest that families purchase our Optional Pre-Departure Tuition Protection. You may cancel up until 72 hours prior to your first departure date for any reason, and receive a full refund of your program fees, excluding international airfare.
The optional pre-departure tuition protection is a flat rate of $800 for summer 2019 programs, and must be purchased during the enrollment process and before April 20, 2019 with these restrictions:
- You must cancel at least 72 hours prior to your first departure date. The tuition protection may not be used for upcoming sessions after your initial session has departed.
- All administrative fees, including the $50 application fee and non-refundable enrollment deposit of $400, as well as the $250 medical form late fee and the $250 inconvenience fee for parents not taking the group flight, are non-refundable.
- If your account is not paid in full at time of cancellation, the amount you receive back (if applicable) will be calculated from your total program cost (excluding international airfare and fees), not what has been paid. In some cases, this may mean that a refund will not be issued. Optional tuition protection is only available to parent(s)/guardian(s) of students who are not nominated to participate by his/her sponsoring organization or high school.
STANDARD CANCELLATION POLICY
If you do not purchase the Optional Tuition Protection, you will be subject to our standard cancellation/withdrawal policy detailed below and as stated in our Conditions of Participation:
World Learning makes firm commitments to local service providers on behalf of participants well in advance of program starting dates. Therefore, cancellation fees are required in the event of any withdrawal by the applicant for any reason, including health-related reasons or lack of medical clearance.
Withdrawals must be in writing and signed by the Participant and the Participant’s parent/guardian, if the Participant is under 18 years of age. Withdrawal refunds will be made subject to the cancellation fee schedule below. In all cases, the $50 application fee and $400 enrollment deposit are non-refundable:
|Written Withdrawal Notice (Received in Vermont)
|Before April 20
|Between April 21 and May 20
||40% of program fee plus cost of group international flight
|After May 20
||100% of the program fee plus cost of group international flight
If a participant is dismissed or sent home due to behavior issues or for violation of our program restrictions, no refund will be given. In addition, all costs incurred in relation to a behavior issue or other violation are the responsibility of the parent/guardian and/or the sponsoring organization.
All refund determinations will be made after the conclusion of the Program.
NO REFUNDS will be given in cases of an involuntary withdrawal or dismissal by World Learning from a Program for reasons outlined in these Conditions, for violations of these Conditions or any applicable Experiment policies, or for any behavior- or conduct-related reason.
How to Purchase Optional Tuition Protection
Please submit the Optional Pre-Departure Tuition Protection registration form online. Our Billing office will send you an invoice for $800 USD, which must be paid before April 20, 2019. If you have any questions about billing, please contact our Billing Office at 802-258-3520 or email@example.com.
ESCROW OPTION FOR FUTURE TRAVEL
Whether you purchase the Optional Tuition Protection or are comfortable with our standard withdrawal policy, you can always choose to defer your funds in escrow for future travel. If you cancel for any reason up until the day of travel, rather than take a partial refund, upon receipt of your signed Escrow Confirmation Form, we will apply those funds against future travel, subject to the following terms.
- The Escrow option cannot be combined with any other cancellation terms or policies. Once enrollment is deferred, the funds kept in escrow must be used in accordance with these terms or they will be forfeited. Utilizing the escrow option does not allow for any cash refund.
- Escrow funds may be applied against future travel, for use in the next two (2) program seasons, or within two (2) calendar years from the original cancellation date, as long as the participant has not yet matriculated into college/university.
- The Experiment’s international airfare and enrollment and administrative fees are non-refundable and may not be escrowed.
- Escrowed funds may be redeemed for any Experiment summer program for high school students only, who have not yet matriculated into college/university.
- Escrowed funds may be used only by original participant or sibling of original participant. Escrowed funds are not transferable outside of original participant’s immediate family.
- If these escrowed funds expire unused after a 2 year period, The Experiment will contribute the funds to one of its need-based scholarships for lower income families. Forfeited funds will be considered a donation to the Experiment and are tax deductible as a charitable donation. A gift acknowledgement will be sent out if and when the escrow funds expire.
Once your escrow is confirmed, our Billing Office will send you a deferral certificate with the value retained in escrow, the expiration date, and the key terms listed above. We will keep a copy of the certificate on record for future reference.